Monday, January 08, 2007

Welcome to my first personal blog!

So who am I?

Up until 4 years ago I was working full time in the healthcare field as a group home worker. A stress-related work injury gave me an opportunity to career jump after 13 years, and so, after finding out about the Arts and Entertainment Management program at Capilano College, jump I did.

It was an emotional and frightening move for me, but a lifesaving one, nonetheless. The only thing I miss is the paycheque, and while important, is unsubstantial when I think about how much more fulfilling and interesting my life is these days.

My business card now calls me producer, publisher, talent agent, graphic designer, poet. Add to that teacher, publicist, and corporate sponsorship development officer and you begin to get an idea. Primarily, I think of myself as a writer. I’ve probably been doing that the longest and it is something that I still dedicate a lot of time to everyday, whether I’m blogging, creating press releases and marketing articles, or just journaling. I work part-time in the marketing department of the Vancouver Civic Theatres. Although my job isn’t very glamorous (website updating and number crunching) I do get to see some great shows from time to time.

I’m basically self-employed, working from home, running a business teaching marketing and corporate fundraising to artists and non-profits. I also run a small talent agency dealing with corporate events and bringing entertainers into schools.

On occasion I do get to be an artist myself and was most recently was involved as director of a multi-disciplinary show called ANU, which took place at the Roundhouse Community Centre.

I am also proudly president of Vancouver Celtic Festival Society and am it’s spoken word co-ordinator for the festival (March 14-18, 2007).

You can hear me every week on Co-op Radio’s Wax Poetic (Wednesdays at 2pm PST) where I co-host a show with Vancouver Poetry House president Randy Jacobs a.k.a. R.C. Weslowski. Tune us in at 102.7 on your fm dial or go to http://www.coopradio.org/listen/index.html.

I live in East Vancouver’s vibrant Commercial Drive neighbourhood, which is known for its food and it’s live entertainment. Living in a multi-culturally diverse, working class neighbourhood with lots of old houses, artists and coffee shops, I feel very fortunate to be able to walk out my door any time of the day or night, and within 5 minutes, be able to experience some of the best food and music found anywhere in the city.

Why a blog like this?

I’ve always harboured the fantasy of having an opinion column. When I created my first blog, The Creative Spin, for artists looking to learn more about making a living from art, I immediately saw the blog’s potential and wanted to explore the technology further.

I’ve been journaling for several years but, aside from a few pointed poems, I’ve kept my opinions to myself.

I guess that if I were to open a library, like the US presidents do, this blog would be it -an unabridged collection of things that are somehow important to me; my own little curiosity shop!

It will be a musing almanac. I’ll even throw on some poetry. Why not? I’ll include links I find interesting, news items, events I go to, stories I hear, whatever.

It won’t necessarily be a daily post, because my crazy self-employed life won’t allow me that luxury (lucky for my subscribers!) but I hope to keep it fresh. If you like what you read here, I encourage you to check out my other blog and my corporate site www.srduncan.com and comment on them if you wish.

I’ve also started an online Vancouver events calendar which is open to anyone who wants to add their own events. It’s a great resource for you out of town folk, who want to find some fun to do when you’re here. Let your friends know about it, too!

I hope you enjoy this blog. Feel free to comment! I’d love to hear from you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new blog, Steve. I'll add it to my favourites list.
mp (aka sue)

Anonymous said...

Hi again Steve, enjoyed reading this one too. I have 3 myself, "Living the Writer's Life"
"Conversations with myself"
and "Travel Through History" (my travel blog).
check them out. Ruthie